Click here for the original recipe.
- 500g apples, unpeeled, quartered
- 20g honey
- 10g fresh lemon juice
- 900g pork belly, scored with 1 inch lines
- 1 tbsp salt and a little olive oil for rind
- 700g mixed root vegetables (like sweet potato, parsnip, carrot), cubed
- Dried or fresh herbs and spices to sprinkle over the vegetables (use whatever you have in the house, this time we had left over fresh rosemary and sage and paprika and turmeric in the cupboard)
- Add the apples to mixer bowl, chop for 5 sec/speed 8/MC on.
- Add honey, lemon juice and 1000g water to mixer bowl, blend for 30 sec/speed 9/MC on.
- Put the steaming tray in place, with the pork belly inside (either the deep tray or the flat tray, which ever it fits best in). Steam for 60 min/steaming temperature/speed
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 200°C
- Place the vegetables onto a lined baking tray and pour a little olive oil on top, then sprinkle with herbs and spices
- Coat the vegetables evenly in the oil, herbs and spices then place in the oven while the pork is cooking until cooked and golden (will take between 30-40 minutes)
- Once the vegetables are done, remove from the oven and increase to 250°C
- Remove roast to roasting tray and pat the skin of the pork dry. Rub the rind with a little oil, then salt the rind liberally. Pour apple sauce around the base of the pork. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until well browned. If your oven is one of those ovens that refuses to produce beautiful crackling, try putting it under a medium grill before serving.
- Serve immediately with apple sauce from roasting tray and vegetables